- Cloud Solutions
- Success Stories
- About Us
- Contact Us
Applies to: Office 365 for professionals and small businesses, Office 365 for enterprises, Microsoft Exchange, Live@edu
Topic Last Modified: 2012-03-19
You can set up e-mail using an Exchange account on an Android mobile phone. If you have a different phone, see Mobile Phone Setup Reference. If you are having trouble connecting your device after following these steps, see “What else to I need to know?” at the end of this Help topic.
How do I set up Exchange ActiveSync on an Android mobile phone?
- From the Applications menu, select Email. This application may be named Mail on some versions of Android.
- Type your full e-mail address, for example email@example.com, and your password, and then select Next.
- Select Exchange account. This option may be named Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android.
- Enter the following account information and select Next.
- Domain\Username Type your full e-mail address in this box. If Domain and Username are separate text boxes in your version of Android, leave the Domain box empty and type your full e-mail address in the Username box.
On some versions of Android, you need to use the domain\username format. For example, if your e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org, type contoso.com\email@example.com. Your username is your full e-mail address.
- Password Use the password that you use to access your account.
- Exchange Server Use the address of your Exchange server. To find this address, see “Finding the Server Name” later in this topic.
- As soon as your phone verifies the server settings, the Account Options screen displays. The options available depend on the version of Android on your device. The options may include the following:
- Email checking frequency The default value is Automatic (push). When you select this option, e-mail messages will be sent to your phone as they arrive. We recommend only selecting this option if you have an unlimited data plan.
- Amount to synchronize This is the amount of mail you want to keep on your mobile phone. You can choose from several length options, including One day, Three days, and One week.
- Notify me when email arrives If you select this option, your mobile phone will notify you when you receive a new e-mail message.
- Sync contacts from this account If you select this option, your contacts will be synchronized between your phone and your account.
- Select Next and then type a name for this account and the name you want displayed when you send e-mail to others. Select Done to complete the e-mail setup and start using your account.
You may need to wait ten-to-fifteen minutes after you set up your account before you can send or receive e-mail.
Finding the Server Name
To determine your server name, use the following steps:
- Sign in to your account using Outlook Web App.
- On the Outlook Web App toolbar, click Help > About.
- On the About page, under the External POP Settings line, use the Server name value to help you determine your server name:
- If the External POP Settings > Server name value includes your organization’s name, for example, pop.contoso.com, then your server name is the same as your Outlook Web App server name, without the /owa. For example, if the address you use to access Outlook Web App is https://mail.contoso.com/owa, your Exchange ActiveSync server name is mail.contoso.com.
- If the External POP Settings > Server name value is in the format podxxxxx.outlook.com, your Exchange ActiveSync server name is m.outlook.com. In some cases, Android mobile devices may experience connection problems using m.outlook.com as the server name. If you are having problems connecting, go to the Host name line on the About page. Use the value shown under Host name for the Exchange ActiveSync server name for your device.
What else do I need to know?
- If your e-mail account is the type that requires registration, you must register it the first time you sign in to Outlook Web App. Connecting to your e-mail account through a mobile device will fail if you haven't registered your account through Outlook Web App. After you sign in to your account, sign out. Then try to connect using your mobile phone. For more information about how to sign in to your account using Outlook Web App, see How to Sign In to Outlook Web App. If you have trouble signing in, see FAQs: Sign-in and Password Issues or contact the person who manages your e-mail account.
- When you use the Host name as the Exchange server name in your e-mail account settings, you should be aware that this setting may change over time. For example, the Host name for your mailbox will change if your user mailbox is moved to a different server or if it is temporarily moved during a server upgrade.
- If you are an IT professional or e-mail administrator, read the blog post Exchange ActiveSync client connectivity in Office 365 for detailed information about connectivity issues you may experience.